Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: First day on this, so lets bash Tanner Glass!

Date:
First day on this, so lets bash Tanner Glass!

It has been a longer summer then we had hoped, but we have almost done it.  The only question I still have is how is Tanner Glass still on this team/in the NHL?

#FREELINDBERG #FREETHEBOTTOM6

Anyone have any thoughts on how the bottom 6 will play out? Seems to be the main question headed into Training Camp.

-- Edited by Better Call CK on Tuesday 8th of September 2015 04:40:02 PM

Date:

There's basically 1 interesting scenarios with the top 6, that will then wreak havoc on the bottom 6. Specifically will JT Miller or Kevin Hayes get first crack at filling MSL's spot on the wing? Or will there be a dark horse? And if it's Hayes, does Miller shift to center, or does Stoll get first crack? Does Stoll even make it out of camp?

Also really interested to see what Etem brings to the table. He seems to me like he'll be a mixed bag, and at times will probably drive us nuts with inconsistent play. Possibly even finding himself in the press box (we know AV is tougher on the kids). But he'll show flashes of brilliance and AV won't be able to stay away from his speed.

Man, this reminds me of the old days over on the MSG Boards....if I type "Dolan", does it turn in to *****???

-- Edited by johnnyb3910 on Tuesday 8th of September 2015 05:22:56 PM

Date:

There are a ton of players to consider. I think the second line job will be given to either Hayes, Miller or Fast (he had solid chemistry with Stepan and Kreider in the postseason) at least at the start.  Unfortunately, Buchnevich didn't come over otherwise he might be competing for that spot.  This would leave the other two, Etem, Lindberg, Stalberg, Stoll, Glass, Moore and maybe some ahlers like Bourque in line for 6 spots.  AV is gonna play around, I just hope Glass is out.

-- Edited by Better Call CK on Tuesday 8th of September 2015 06:37:34 PM

Date:

If he's not the 13th forward or healthy scratch by the 5th game of the season (give AV some mourning time), I will start a gofundme account to buy out the rest of his contract.

Date:

BBBBut grit. Popular in 'the room'.

Errr...intangibles.

Date:

Hopefully the Glass experiment is over, but I have a sinking feeling it isn't and we'll be stuck with the albatross for another year...

With all the one way contracts etc you have to think there may be a trade or two in the works depending on how training camp progresses.

Date:

I would prefer a bash Dan Boyle thread instead, but that is just me.

Date:

Dan Boyle? He was one of, if not our best defenseman in the playoffs.... You're saying he was worse then a guy who had 1 goal and less than 5 points all season? LOL!

Date:

-Dan Boyle's cap hit is quadruple that of Tanner Glass and he has a no move clause
-Slats let out most consistent defenseman go (Stralman) in hope that Boyle would improve the powerplay. He didn't and we had to give up A LOT more to acquire Yandle (who I am still giving a chance to impress me since we didn't have him that long)
-I honestly have no idea what you are talking about when you say he was the best defenseman in the playoffs. He missed wide open nets and was guilty of bad turnovers (example he gave up the pick that allowed Washington to win game 1 of the Conference Semi-finals in the last second of the game.)

I am not a Tanner Glass fan by all means. He was meant to add grit to the fourth line and replace Dorsett/Carsillo and he does that, but is not as good. But if I had to choose, I would rather clear up 4.5 million of cap space and get rid of Old Man Boyle (replace him with Mcilrath/Diaz) then get rid of Glass who we could just scratch or put on waivers if necessary.

Date:

Kasparaitis6 is absolutely correct, it was the failed Boyle experiment that caused Slats to work the Yandle trade. Slats would not have been likely to see the continued need that Boyle hadn't filled, or to pay so highly for it if Boyle had been living up to expectations - its a huge risk getting a player so close to the end of their career. Look at MSL who physically was a beast fitness wise and yet even before the knee injury had been fading significantly. I am huge MSL fan and it was devastating to see the downswing in his game come so dramatically (I won't mention the HUGE overpayment in that trade especially now in hindsight!)! I hope that Boyle has a career year since I don't think there is anyway that they trade him, but realistically he is fading quickly and not worth half his cap hit and will be injury prone, slow, and a growing defensive liability.

Glass on the other hand as many say is arguably the worst active NHL player has a minor cap hit and plays on the 4th line so although it is infuriating to see him get ice time over those more deserving and that his presence on the line forces the coaches to not use the 4th line in defensive situations or as effectively it is still less of an impact than that of Boyle. Ok on ice it wears out the top lines and forces them to take more defensive starts, but financially its much less! Now in Boyles case at least there is some upside potential, he can still score and has good vision/hands, and since AV won't allow Glass to actually play his enforcer roll his presence is essentially unfathomable...

Ideally Boyle becomes the 6th/7th D on a rotating basis to keep him spry and Glass is moved possibly with Klein (too much to hope for that they move G) and Mcllrath or Skjei get a shot! LGR!!!

Date:

Kasparaitis6 wrote:

-Dan Boyle's cap hit is quadruple that of Tanner Glass and he has a no move clause
-Slats let out most consistent defenseman go (Stralman) in hope that Boyle would improve the powerplay. He didn't and we had to give up A LOT more to acquire Yandle (who I am still giving a chance to impress me since we didn't have him that long)
-I honestly have no idea what you are talking about when you say he was the best defenseman in the playoffs. He missed wide open nets and was guilty of bad turnovers (example he gave up the pick that allowed Washington to win game 1 of the Conference Semi-finals in the last second of the game.)

I am not a Tanner Glass fan by all means. He was meant to add grit to the fourth line and replace Dorsett/Carsillo and he does that, but is not as good. But if I had to choose, I would rather clear up 4.5 million of cap space and get rid of Old Man Boyle (replace him with Mcilrath/Diaz) then get rid of Glass who we could just scratch or put on waivers if necessary.

Dan Boyle was not brought in to replace Stralman.  Slats made a decision to keep Girardi, and thus he let Stralman go. Boyle was brought in as an offensive minded defenseman... and injuries aside I thought he was great last year, especially in the playoffs.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.